Anaphylaxis is a severe allergic reaction to a certain substance. Adults and children can have allergic reactions to several different substances. Which may include: poison plants, animal scratches or dander, pollen, latex, bee stings, medications, nuts, shellfish and molds.

Anaphylaxis can affect about 15% of the population. The allergic reaction will continue as long as the victim remains in contact with the allergen. It is best to remove the substance or allergen as quickly as possible. Remove stingers or wash effected areas with soap and water where the toxins have touched. The general signs to look for in an allergic reaction are:

  • Itching
  • Redness
  • Hives
  • Scratchy Throat
  • Difficulty Breathing
  • Dry Mouth
  • Dizziness
  • Weakness

Those who have experienced a severe reaction to a substance should consult a doctor and carry an Epi-Pen. This is a prescribed and easily injectable dose of epinephrine, which helps counteract the severe allergic reaction. Without epinephrine an anaphylactic reaction could quickly become fatal.

Reference: First Aid– 165


Categories : Uncategorized

Leave a Reply